Sunday, March 16, 2014

Another Day, Another Choice

Second Sunday of Lent
Text: Matthew 6:19-24... Collect treasures in heaven... You cannot serve God and wealth...

The story of the miser who went to heaven. St. Peter was showing him around, taking him to his new home. They passed mansion after mansion, until they came to his new home: a dilapidated shack. The man asked "We passed all those mansions, why don't I have one?
St. Peter replied, "We built the best one we could with what you sent us..." 
(aside: June M. died on Wed 3/12, her funeral today 2p. Speaking on 1 Cor 13 love is patient and kind etc... and the promise of heaven... now we see dimly, then we shall see clearly... June's life choices have been made, completed, &by grace and faith of JC she knows fully as she is fully known...)
Matthew 6:20 Collect treasures in heaven... every day choices
21 where your treasure is your heart is also...
Prov 23:26 My child, give me your heart, and keep your eyes on my path.
In Matthew the way to collect treasures in heaven is by almsgiving, providing material help for the poor. Almsgiving as spiritual discipline makes for healthy heart, and both loosens money's grip on me and my grip on money.
How will I choose this day to use the resources I have?
Who will be served by my choices? Who will be glorified?
Who will be lifted up, who will be ignored?
Principle in motorcycling that your bike goes where your eyes are... look through the curve, past the obstacle, ok. Look to side of road or at the obstacle, object permanence and fixation.
The eye is the lamp of the body... how you see affects how you live...
If your heart is in serving others your treasure is in heaven.
Love of money is a root of all kinds of evil (1 Tim 6:10)...
Almsgiving as spiritual discipline makes for healthy heart, and both loosens money's grip on me and my grip on money.
True religion, the kind that is pure and faultless before God the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their difficulties and to keep the world from contaminating us. (James 1:27) Treasures in heaven.
Choose this day whom you will serve... God or money.
How do you draw that line about what is God service and what is material service? In a way, take it to the Lord in prayer...
Excerpt from Bringing the Imitation of Christ into the 21st Century, by William Menninger...
The LORD is speaking directly to my heart
in all the events of my life. Only let me pay attention.
Sometimes God cajoles, sometimes God whispers, sometimes God shouts. Often I let other cajolings, whispers and shouts drown God out.
This only happens when I permit it, but I can permit it so habitually that I become unaware of what I am doing. Let me begin now to listen to God's voice.

This is what God is telling me:
You are my child and I love you.
I want to be your source of contentment, your place of comfort and safety. Stay with me, abide with me, and you will find peace for your soul. I know the power that fleeting attractions have for you and wish you the good use of them. After all, everything that is was made to facilitate love. Only do not turn to them for what they cannot give. Use my gifts unto my service and to show your love for others, but never forget that
real happiness lies only in me.


Hymn 451 Be Thou My Vision

No comments:

Post a Comment