Sunday, August 21, 2011

Who Do You Say That I Am?

Tenth Sunday After Pentecost
Scripture: Matthew 16:13-20
Peter answers that Jesus is the Christ

  There's a story about Elvis, whose fans shouted out "You are the King!" And Elvis responded “I sing for the King, and his name is Jesus Christ”  In front of fawning fans and unashamed of his faith. Who do you say that I am?
  I'm doing a wedding on Friday... when that man and that woman say “I take you as my wife / husband” they are agreeing to order their lives by that relationship. It means they’ll make decisions together, or with their partner in mind, decisions about finances and activities. It means they’ll control their urges and desires and take care to be in frequent communication with each other. They will live as representatives of each other. They commit to each other.
  When you move you give over ALL your house keys, and expect former owners to do the same.
      So it is when we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
      We invite Jesus to be Lord of life, we say I surrender all, I give you control, I give you the keys not just to some of the rooms of my life but ALL the rooms. There is nothing I will keep hidden from your influence. I will seek your will in the choices I make, in the words I say, in the company I keep and in the activities we undertake, in the way I use my money and in the way I treat other people, in the way I drive and the way I text, the way I wait in line at the grocery store and the way I order my life. I will submit my life and resources and decisions to thy control.
      I will be in frequent communication with you and I will live as your representative. I will align my passions and desires with yours. Without shame I will confess you as my Lord.
  Jesus asks Who do you say that I am? Peter: The Christ, the Son of the Living God. The Anointed One, the Messiah, God’s prophet, priest, and king
  After this passage Jesus lets disciples know two things: what the Christ will do (suffer and die and be raised again) and what disciples will do (deny self, pick up cross)
      (but that’s next week)
Prayer (Lord, reign in me... over all my dreams, in my darkest hour... over every thought/word, may my life reflect the beauty of my Lord)

• Song Lord Reign In Me

No comments:

Post a Comment