Sunday, October 6, 2013

Ours and Yours

with 2 Timothy 1:1-14
20th Sunday after Pentecost
World Communion Sunday
PK's first Sunday at First UMC, Barboursville WV

FYI, today is not normal. Normally I'll spend a lot more time applying the scripture to what's going on today, but as this is both World Communion Sunday and the first time a lot of you are seeing me, well, things don't always go according to our plans, and we gotta roll with it.
For example, I haven't set up my computer yet, and for the first time in a long while I'm preaching from handwritten notes. Forgive me if I stumble.
I am Kerry and I'm excited to begin in relationship with you the people of Barboursville First UMC as we chug along together in mission and ministry to the surrounding community and region.
Excited and a little anxious, too, as one of the newest residents of the wild and wonderful state of West Virginia. I believe I am here by an act of God, who is master of rolling with it when things don't go according to the plan. An act of God and an act of a few bishops and district superintendents.
I am a lover and a hoper. A lover of God, my wife, my daughter; a hoper in God's desire and ability to do great things among and through people, and that when folks walk through the valley of the shadow of death there is no reason to fear for God is there.
The title for my message today is “Ours and Yours,” inspired from a time when I began in a new congregation and realized “these aren't my people...” and then a few months later what had previously been 'theirs' was now 'ours'. They were my people.
Hopefully (remember I'm a hoper) what's “yours” in Bville First Church will be “ours” sooner than later.
We don't know each other yet. I know that Barboursville is celebrating its bicentennial, WV is celebrating its sesquicentennial, and that Bville First is about 120 years old. I know that First Church was served by Pastor Monte for about ten years and then by Pastor Judy for about ten years. I know that Brother Brent began here in July and then soon after received a job offer that left First Church without a full time pastor.
You know that I am 41 years old, that I was born and raised in Chicago, that I was ordained in 2005 in Philadelphia and that I've been involved in full-time pastoral ministry for the last 12 years in Pennsylvania. (okay, now you know that)
We don't know each other yet, but we share a few things:
Our heritage and connection as Methodists, and our common mission to “make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” (repeat)
(that means everything we do as UMs should have something to do with making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.)
And we share our identity both as beloved children of God and heirs of salvation (not by our works, Paul reminds us, but by the grace of God).
And we're apostles. That's how Paul identifies himself in 2 Timothy 1 (see, I got around to the scripture!)
That word apostle is an important term... one who is sent with a mission, a purpose. Our mission and our purpose? Make disciples!
• “Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus.”
That is, by an act of God, Paul is an apostle, one sent out with a mission and a purpose, sent out by Christ Jesus with the mission and the purpose of proclaiming that there is life in Christ Jesus.
If there is death in your life, there is life in Christ Jesus.
If there is decay in your life, there is life in Christ Jesus.
Christ Jesus, who abolished death and who gives life eternal, everlasting life to any who will call him Lord.
And Paul is writing to his protege, his student, his mentee Timothy to encourage him to keep on keepin' on, to strive on, to give his all...
Paul's been preaching, telling about the good news of real life in Christ Jesus for 30 years, and he knows he doesn't have much time left, so he uses the resources he has to fan the flames and encourage a young preacher. He knows that there's no greater honor in life than to be an apostle, to make disciples, and that it is worth spending your life for, no matter what.
No matter what your circumstances, you can model the gospel, and encourage others. (knowledge puffs up, love builds up. The road of discipleship leads to apostleship)
Today's reading is from Paul's 2nd letter to Timothy, but I'm reminded of his words to the Ephesians and Philippians – live your life worthy of the calling of the gospel.
Christ Jesus gave all for you, and asks and requires the same.
Oh, and one other thing to mention today: Jesus not only sends us and encourages us but feeds us and unites us with all God's family through the sacrament of Holy Communion, so that, whether we know one another or not, whether we speak the same language or live on the same continent or in the same century, we remember and celebrate the sacrifice Christ Jesus made so that we might have life. We do that today on World Communion Sunday.

And one other final thing that unites us and many: our belief in God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Let's join together in that old confession of faith, The Apostles' Creed...

No comments:

Post a Comment