Sunday, April 28, 2013

Jesus, Well Maker


Fifth Sunday of Easter
Luke 5:12-26, Jesus heals a man with leprosy, Jesus forgives and heals a paralyzed man.

 "Jesus Heals a Man with Leprosy" is the section title in NIV... better language than "Jesus Heals a Leper" (Think about it... would you rather be a something, or a person with a condition?)

What is leprosy, more importantly what are effects?
   various skin diseases, caused leper to exist outside society. 
No normal life. Shout “unclean” from a distance.

Can you imagine a condition that cut you off?
        AIDS. Ostracized from society.

• Who initiates event? The man with leprosy. The man. Must’ve heard reputation. Placed faith in Jesus. The man approaches IN TOWN (against the rules? Or otherwise not where he’s sposed to be).

If you want, you can make me clean.

• And Jesus touches.
What happens when you touch a leper? Beyond the oogyfactor, you are rendered unclean. And not only does Jesus tell the man to follow the law of Moses, but Jesus himself ends up… in a deserted place… where the leper should be.

As Jesus makes the man well, he bears the consequences of the man’s condition.

 What does this passage tell us about Jesus?
How completely does Jesus enter into the mess of our lives?
- Enough to touch an unclean leper, make him well, and take his place among the unclean.
- Enough to wash the feet of his disciples. Even his betrayer.
- Enough to enter humanity, suffer death on a cross, bear the consequence of our sin… the gospel story in miniature.

I sometimes say "I love you and there’s nothing you can do about it…"
but that’s a shadow of what Jesus says and does.

Nothing you can do about it…
 …except live for him.

• Saving Private Ryan (1998)
At the end of Saving Private Ryan (1998) Matt Damon’s character, Private Ryan, visiting the grave of Captain John Miller, who died saving Ryan’s life… (Earn this)
“My family is with me today. They wanted to come with me. To be honest with you, I wasn't sure how I'd feel coming back here. Every day I think about what you said to me that day on the bridge. I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me.”

• Closing song: Every Day it’s You I live for… I stand upon your word

No comments:

Post a Comment