Trinity Sunday / Graduate Recognition Sunday
Romans 8:12-17, John 3:1-17
• Yesterday I volunteered at Hershey Park, cleaning the condiments stand at Nathan's on the boardwalk. I love people-watching. Especially love seeing couples holding hands. I got to hear the aquatic safety announcements quite a bit, too, including that they sometimes place mannequins in the water for lifeguard drills. It's important to practice skills, so that when you need them, they're there.
• I am a biker. I take a motorcycle class every year, including quick starts and stops and emergency swerves. I want to develop and maintain excellent riding skills, so that if I ever need them, they're there.
• Romans 8:13 If you put to death the actions of the body with the spirit you will live. Paul is talking not only about physical discipline for the glory of God, but mental discipline for the glory of God. We have physical habits to control, and spiritual habits as well.
• Brother Lawrence on prayer at work:
I said to God with a son-like trust, ‘My God, since You are with me, and since it is Your will that I should apply my mind to these outward things, I pray that You will give me the grace to remain with You and keep company with You. But so that my work may be better, Lord, work with me; receive my work and possess all my affections. – Brother Lawrence. p. 37
• God gives us Spirit.
• Jesus to Nicodemus, you must be born from above: start fresh, blank page, abandon preconceptions.
• Living by Spirit is community natured (selfishness will lead to death)
• Alyssa to West Point. Zach to HACC for elem ed. Katie nursing degree. Meredith earned doctor of medicine in dentistry, beginning residency. Ryan officers field artillery.
Each of these graduates has to do and will have to do mundane things they don't like, but that will develop and maintain their skills and will lead them to the fruit they desire.
• Brainstorm ways you could put your Spirit into action (physical mental discipline, live in spirit, abandon preconception. Study, cultivate fruit of spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)). Become accountable to another.
• Hymn 59 I Sing the Mighty Power of God
Galatians 5:22-23 Fruit of Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control